Our family also started noticing several problems with food allergies and intolerances. The food allergies sped us along on our journey to "organic"; because of this, we probably traveled farther down the "organic" path than we ever imagined! We hoped to buy from local farmers or organic for all of our food sources, I just didn't realize it was possible!
Many people ask, where do you get all of this "organic" food?
- Local Farmers
- Timmons Family - We purchase beef from a local family (they also raise chickens and pigs).
- Dairy Co-op for cow milk, goat milk and eggs (6 families take turns driving to a farm in Missouri to pick up the week's milk for the group)
- Farmer's market or local produce stand (our town only has these Spring-Early Fall)
- Gardening - We grow our our produce in our backyard raised bed (Square Foot Gardens).
- We buy seeds from Baker's Creek Seed Company
- We buy starter plants from Azure Standard*, the local farmer's market, and occasionally Home Depot.
- We grow spinach & lettuce, root vegetables (radishes, beets, carrots, potatoes), tomatoes, peppers, herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro), sugar snap & snow peas, butternut & spaghetti squash. It's amazing what you can grow in your backyard!!
- Local health food stores (Kountry Kupboard and Health Food Store-Stone Street)
- Grains, oats, oat flour, gluten free items, vitamins
- Azure Standard - this is a once a month order. Several families order by a certain date and pick up their order at a local meeting place, once a month. Let me know if you're interested in ordering this month and I can give you the details. Here are some of the items we purchase through Azure:
- Fresh and frozen produce (often at less cost than Sam's Club!)
- Goat milk products (yogurt and kefir)
- Elderberry powder and juice
- Nut butters
- We've purchased organic chicken here, but found it cheaper at Sam's Club.
- Starter plants for our garden
- Dairy free coconut milk ice cream (they have a lot of dairy free food options)
- Molasses, raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Can also be found at Kroger)
- Soaper's Choice - This is where I get my coconut oil in bulk.
- Raw is the healthiest type and has lots of great health benefits (I put this in smoothies, baby formula, & use to make chocolate). ID# 59507SC
- Refined - great for baking and frying ID# 59707SC
- Country Life - This is a special order that needs to be arranged with our local contact. I purchase grains, nuts, seeds from them. Can also get organic canned goods, cereals, beans, produce and other bulk products.
- Sam's Club - We still get several products, some produce (onions, bananas, etc), and organic whole chickens from Sam's Club.
- Amazon - Great place to order diapers (I didn't go "organic" in the diaper department), paper products, batteries, teas, water filters, vitamins/supplements for our homemade goat milk baby formula, gluten free items, soaps and ingredients for homemade laundry detergent.
I hope these resources help your family make the switch to REAL organic food!More blogs in this series coming soon...
"REAL" food and organic cleaning supplies!